Gutters play an important role in preserving your home’s foundation. They collect rainwater as it flows off your roof and direct it away from your home, preventing erosion. Well-functioning, clog-free gutters can also prevent water damage to your siding, roof, and yard. Each of the many types of gutters has its own pros and cons to consider, and you will need to decide between DIY or professional installation. Below, we cover four tips to consider when looking into a brand-new gutter system for your Billings home.
Type of Gutter System
Some of the best rain gutters include:
- Seamless gutters are continuous pieces of metal that span the entire roof line. This type is more expensive but less likely to leak than sectional systems.
- Sectional gutters are pre-formed pieces that fit together like a puzzle. They’re typically attached directly to the building.
- Vinyl gutters are lightweight and easy to install but less durable than metal systems.
- Aluminum gutters are strong and weather resistant, making them a popular choice among homeowners.
You want your gutters to compliment your home. Therefore, choosing the right style and color is important. Most homeowners choose K-style gutters because they look like crown molding and give a home a finished look. As for color, choose either something that coordinates with your trim, fascia, or siding, or that matches your roof.
The material of your gutter system is another essential factor to consider when choosing the proper gutters for your home. Your options include aluminum, galvanized steel, copper, vinyl, and wood. Each type of material offers its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
- Aluminum: Aluminum gutters are probably the most popular choice. They’re lightweight, low-maintenance, and rust-resistant. However, they can be prone to dents from hail or flying debris and are susceptible to corrosion over time.
- Galvanized steel: Galvanized steel gutters resist rust for longer than aluminum and are incredibly durable. They’re heavier than aluminum, so gutter installation is more complex and costly.
- Copper: Copper gutters are the most expensive and reliable option. They offer superior corrosion resistance and look very attractive for years without needing maintenance or repair.
- Vinyl: Vinyl gutters are relatively inexpensive and straightforward to install. They’re available in various colors, and the material is lightweight, non-corrosive, and low maintenance. However, vinyl gutters may crack or break if exposed to extreme temperatures.
- Wood: Wood gutters are more susceptible to rot and require regular maintenance. They’re best suited for homes in areas with mild climates.
Climatic conditions directly affect the choice of gutters. In wet climates, it’s best to choose seamless aluminum gutters, as they can hold large amounts of water. Additionally, it would help if you considered the material’s strength in extreme temperatures and its susceptibility to corrosion from acid rain or sea spray. Seamless aluminum is an excellent choice for areas that experience strong winds because it is lightweight but durable.
The cost of installing the best rain gutters or replacing old ones can vary significantly depending on your type of gutter. Copper gutters are usually the most expensive, and vinyl or aluminum gutters are typically more affordable. However, if you live in an area with a lot of rain and snow, you may be better off with copper, as it is more durable.
Guardian Roofs can also install new seamless aluminum gutters for your Billings home. Contact us today and get in touch with your local experts at Guardian Roofs.